What's new

Template errors

• Template public:PAGE_CONTAINER: [E_DEPRECATED] Creation of dynamic property SV\StandardLib\XF\Template\Templater::$AF_footer is deprecated (src/addons/AddonFlare/Moods/IDs.php:85)

Building a PC?

jyy

Credits
Who has built one? How much did it cost? Where did you buy the materials? Do you feel it's better than pre-built?

Myself, I haven't tried to build a PC - but I'm fascinated by those who can. I'm wondering, "Where did they learn the skill?", along with previously said questions.

Note: the assumption is that we are speaking of gaming PCs. However, has anyone built a PC - that's not geared toward gaming? I suppose a few people do.

Last edited:
I have built a couple. Learned from youtube. My most recent only cost about 300ish cause i bought some parts used and it's still decently powerful.

I am still using my custom build from 2013 with several of the original parts. Here were my specs in 2013:

Intel Core i7-3770k
8 GB DDR3-1333
AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
120 GB SSD

Here are my current specs:

Intel Core i7-3770k
20 GB DDR3-1333
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
240 GB SSD

I used to build computers with my father when I was very young- say, 7 or 8 years old maximum. I grew less interested as I hit my preteens and stopped working with him on them, but I still think home-built systems have a lot of pros to them, since you can control, for the most part, the kind of hardware you feel it needs.

I love building websites - either using code or some midway thing like putting a theme on MyBB etc.. Also, it would be cool to design themes. Nonetheless, building a computer or working on one - simply doesn't interest me that much - but I do know working on one can be a useful career.

However, though, a buddy of mine is into that stuff - so to get a biz going, which he never did, (He wanted me to get certified cause he didn't want to bother.) I studied the inner-workings of computers for a few weeks. Therefore, I understand things like RAM etc..

I built my own PC maybe 4.5 years ago. It originally cost me about $800 because I got about half the parts used from an old coworker. The rest I got from Microcenter.
About 2 years, I decided to upgrade and essentially rebuilt the system entirely. New SSD, more RAM, new case, cooler, CPU and Motherboard. All I kept was the graphics card.
Since then I've built a total of 9 gaming computers and it actually helped me land my IT job somehow. My current build is around $1400 since it was 95% brand new, and this is including mouse, keyboard, speakers and headset, and unnecessary RGB.
For this build I bought almost all my parts at Microcenter and a few from Newegg.
I personally do feel it is better to build your own, rather than buy a pre-built. Because pre-built tends to have a high markup. For example, my current build from NZXT would be around $1600 for the PC alone, with less and slower RAM and no peripherals.
I learned from Youtube videos mostly.

One thing I will say, no matter how many you build. No matter how good you get. You will always be scared and nervous about pushing the power button for the first time lol

I've been building PCs since 2005. Great fun! I'm very particular around brands, so it was nice being able to pick exactly what goes into it. I still have the same case from Jan. 2006, but it's been gutted several times.

One thing I will say, no matter how many you build. No matter how good you get. You will always be scared and nervous about pushing the power button for the first time lol
LOL

the pc I have now was built back in 2017, and all I've done is upgraded the cpu to a ryzen 2700x from the 1700x I bought when i first put it all together.

back then it was around $1800, and that included 32GB of 3000mhz memory and a 1080ti from EVGA (FTW 3)

original parts were bought off of Amazon but I bought my 2700x at best buy on sale. everything I know about building PCs is from watching videos and trial and error, but I started doing this stuff around 10+ year ago now.

Coolness. I recently put 32GB ram into my system. I think it's DDR2 tho. My MB doesn't seem to support anything faster. :(

There's still a lot of price gouging going on with a few parts but, for the most part everything else has fallen in price. Memory of the DDR4 variety is really good. There's the pricing on SSD's and M.2 drives are actually really good too.

Nice. I want a 2TB SSD. Around $350 last time I checked. Currently have two 500GB SSDs. Not too worried about the RAM. Got 32GB right now and it's great. Next upgrade will probably be a newer video card. :)

Nice. A bit low on the video RAM. I suggest at least 4GB minimum. But not bad!

Not really something that has interested me before but I would love to try building something of my own one day.

It's really fun. I called in sick at work so I could build mine in 2006. LOL

With the new GPU's out and the upcoming AMD announcement/release. I'm heavily considering rebuilding my PC again.

With the new GPU's out and the upcoming AMD announcement/release. I'm heavily considering rebuilding my PC again.
I am going to upgrade my video card at some point. I have a GTX 960. I'd like a 1080Ti or one of the RTXs. :D

I am going to upgrade my video card at some point. I have a GTX 960. I'd like a 1080Ti or one of the RTXs. :D

Oh man, I'm upgrading from a 1080 to a 3080. But I feel like you'll be able to find a 1080ti for a really good price soon

Would recommend jumping into the 3000 series cards if your coming from a 960. A lot of gains for decent pricing.

Back